Monday 30th September 2013
NATURAL SOAP MAKING WORKSHOP
with Beverley Scott-Hughes from Just Bev Soaps
7.00-9.30pm (2 ½ hrs) at Brighton Road Baptist Church, Horsham
****NB . This workshop is a repeat of the one on 25th Feb earlier this year ****
Learn how to make natural soap during this workshop lead by Beverley Scott-Hughes of Just Bev Soaps, based in Storrington. Natural Soap is wonderful for sensitive skin and those who just want to know exactly what is going onto their skins. We will be working in pairs learning how to make one of her best sellers, Neem Soap with lemongrass. This is a craft using the exacting methods of science and so will appeal to the logical, mathematical and scientific crafters out there! We will be working with olive oil, coconut oil, vitamin E and shea butter to produce a block of soap that can then be cut up into 8-16 bars of soap (if using a loaf cake silicone shaped mould) so a great workshop if you wanted to make some presents for others for Christmas. You will also get the recipes and instruction sheets to take home with you.
On this workshop you will learn:
– The history of soap
– The importance of measurements of oils, the different kinds of oils and how they react.
– Learn about and blend essential oils.
– Making the soap, mixing, temperatures
– How to line a soap mould, un-moulding the soap, Drying/ curing the soap and cutting
Suitable for: All abilities
Places: limited to 10 people
You will need to bring:
– an apron,
– eye covering (prescription glasses or safety goggles)
– wear old clothes with long sleeves.
– a silicone mould (with a min of 6cm depth) either a loaf cake shape or ones with novelty shapes, or bring a couple. The 1 ½ pound in weight of soap that we will be making is the equivalent to over 1litre in volume of water, in case you wanted to test your moulds first.
– a cardboard box or baking tray on which to place your mould to keep it stable when you take it home as it will need a month to cure before you can use it.
– An essential oil of your choice if you didn’t want to use the lemongrass
Beverley will be setting up a small table of her Just Bev Soap products to sell on the evening.
Email us at email@example.com to reserve a place and we will send you a booking form.